Sunday, 17 November 2013

Food

Nurseries are good at giving children exactly what they need to eat. The right mount of protein, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, their 5 a day etc. What they're not so good at doing is giving children what they like to eat, and if they don't like it they're not going to eat it. A healthy nutritious meal that a child doesn't eat is not healthy or nutritious.
Too many menus are written without any consideration as to whether children will like it or not. And if they show they don't like a meal by not eating it, it's seen as the child's problem and they just have to jolly well get used to it!

A couple of notable dishes I've had recently were a brown/grey thing with big bits of onion and mushroom. I don't even know what it was called, but grey/brown food is not appetising. The children all stared at it hoping it would go away. I had cottage pie at one place, a nursery favourite. Or it should have been but when I tasted it I didn't taste it. It had no taste to taste. It was like lumpy water. Nurseries can even screw up desserts. A week or two ago I tried some of the children's yoghurt. It was natural unsweetened yoghurt with crushed unsweetened raspberries. It was so sour I thought I was in danger of sucking my whole face into my mouth. I'm the sort of person who eats the lemons you occasionally find floating in drinks, but even I couldn't eat that yoghurt. It was as close to being poisonous as it could be while still being technically edible.

The moral of this tale is "Nurseries! Stop feeding children stuff they don't like!"

Not much of a moral, but this isn't much of a blog.

And maybe when parents visit a nursery they should do it at lunchtime and insist on a sample, and see if the children are tucking in or just pushing their food round like a dead badger in a swimming pool?

No comments:

Post a Comment